The property where the alleged attack occurred. Photo: Nick Moir Matt Lundberg and Amy Pose, on right and middle, were witnesses to saturday nights stabbing in Warrawee. Photo: Nick Moir
Three teenagers stabbed at Sydney partyBoy fights for life after stabbingMan charged over stabbing at north shore party
A teenager is facing a year of intense rehabilitation after he was stabbed at a birthday party on Sydney’s north shore, according to his father.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was one of three teenagers allegedly stabbed with a butcher’s knife by Calum Fentie at an 18th birthday party in the wealthy suburb of Warrawee on Saturday night.
The teenager’s father said his son, who was slashed in the upper right arm, would be home from hospital in time for Christmas but faced months of recovery.
“He’s out of surgery and he’s got many many months of rehabilitation. He’s severed all the nerves in his arm,” his father told Fairfax Media.
Another 16-year-old who was allegedly stabbed three times in the attack is believed to still be in an induced coma in the Royal North Shore Hospital. It is understood at least one of the wounds punctured his chest and he has been revived twice by doctors since he was admitted.
The 17-year-old’s father said his family had been completely shocked when they learned their son had been seriously injured in an outbreak of violence at the party.
“We’re at a loss that this could happen. You send your kids to parties thinking nothing is going to happen to them.
“It’s blown us away because he’s not the type of guy to provoke anything like that. He’s never had a fight.”
The teenager was one of about 70 friends who had gathered at Claudia Mitty’s family home to celebrate her 18th birthday when Mr Fentie, 21, allegedly slipped past two security guards and began attacking guests shortly before midnight.
Another guest Amy Pose, 17, who witnessed the alleged attack, said Mr Fentie had been arguing with someone near the outside pool.
“I heard him arguing and that’s when I turned around,” she said.
“Then he started putting his arms up and literally going nuts.”
The young man’s father said his son initially thought he been caught in the crossfire of a fight that had broken out among guests near him. He had never met Mr Fentie, his father said, and was facing away from him when he was attacked.
“My son wasn’t facing him. He thought he only got punched in the arm as there was a fight behind him. He didn’t even see this guy.”
He said his son had been trying to protect some friends when he was injured.
The wound had “penetrated right through his arm,” he said, and the injuries have left him temporarily unable to move his right arm.
He will require intensive physiotherapy across the next 12 months, potentially jeopardising his upcoming Year 12 certificate, which he is due to start next year.
Mr Fentie’s friend Brandon Marsh, 18, was also injured in the attack and is believed to be in a stable condition.
Mr Fentie was arrested on Sunday morning and charged with three counts of wounding with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm and one count of using a prohibited weapon without permit.
He was formally refused bail by Magistrate Alison Viney in Hornsby local court on Monday and will return to court on January 7.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 老域名.